Family Voice PeterboroughBack to Support
Family Voice Peterborough supports and empowers the parents and carers of children and young people with disabilities (SEND). They also run a wide range of free activities and support for the wider community, from craft clubs to food hubs.
How to contact
Where to go
Goldhay Community Centre
Support for parent-carers of children and young people (age 0-25) with SEND
Family Voice is the only local charity designated by the Department for Education to be a Parent-Carer Forum in Peterborough. They work alongside the city council, health and care services, and schools to give parents a voice in how services are run and improve these. Family Voice does this by:
- Gathering views and experiences from parents through the forum, surveys, interviews, focus groups, and chats
- Providing a voice for parents at strategic level meetings
- Holding informative events
- Helping parents engage with professionals across Health, Education and Social Care
- Helping parents and carers have access to the information about what services are available to them
- Signposting parents and carers to other agencies/ organisations who provide specific services that Family Voice do not
Static Caravan Hire
They also hire out a couple of accessible static caravans at a reduced cost; one has a ramp, the other is fully wheelchair adapted. Priority booking is given to families with SEND children. See their website for more information.
Activities and support for the wider community
Because Family Voice has taken over running the Goldhay Community Centre, they have expanded to offer activities and support to the local community and across the city. Some examples are:
- Community Café and Food Hubs
- Activities such as Tai Chi, craft club, and litter-picking
- Hosting CPSL Mind’s Good Mood Café fortnightly
- Hosting Families First School Club for 5-11 year olds (stay and play free, or £1 with food)
- One-off activities during the holidays (e.g. trips, parties, crafts. Nominal fees.) Check their Facebook page
- Static caravan hire at reduced cost (priority given to families with SEND children, click here to find out more)
Winter Community Hub
Over the winter, Family Voice is working with Peterborough City Council to provide warm drinks, snacks, food, a friendly chat, and some fun activities. These include:
- Tai Chi
- Drop-ins with hot drinks, snacks, and food bags
- Community Café
- Craft Club (bring your own or use supplies from the Centre)
- Fortnightly CPSL Mind Good Mood café
- Litter pick with cooked dinner on first Saturday of the month
You can find their calendar with days and times of these on this page.
Family voice also rent out their hall for parties, events, and regular activities such as exercise classes. This includes a full modern kitchen, tables and chairs, and grassy outdoor space with some picnic tables and some children’s play equipment. Find out more here.
You can contact Family Voice directly – no referral is required.
The Goldhay Centre (Family Voice Peterborough) is located behind the Premier convenience store and other shops on Paynels street. There is a small carpark across the road from the shops, where parking is free. The Centre has a toilet.
Many of the regular, ongoing activities (such as Tai Chi, Craft Club, Good Mood Cafés, Community Café, and Food Hubs) are free.
Some one-off activities such as trips and parties have a nominal fee to cover some costs.
Static caravan hire has a reduced cost.
Hall hire has a reasonable cost.
Contact Family Voice to find out more.