British Red Cross – Support at Home ServiceBack to Support
The British Red Cross Support at Home Service offers short-term practical and emotional support up to 6 weeks to help people improve their wellbeing and quality of life and live independently in their community. Their services are tailored to each person’s needs and goals.
How to contact
Where to go
Peterborough Unitary Area
The Red Cross Support at Home Service can offer includes:
- Taking service users home from hospital and helping them settle back in at home
- Transport for health appointments (patients must be able to access the vehicle independently)
- Undertaking home safety checks (e.g. fire risk, slips and trip hazards)
- Medication collection and delivery
- Delivery of small equipment (e.g. wheelchairs / commodes / walking frames / perching stools)
- Welfare checks post discharge
- Shopping support, including taking Service Users shopping
- Providing emotional support and companionship
- Enhanced signposting / actively referring to other agencies and community support.
They assist people to meaningfully connect with relevant support through partnership-working with health and social care services, and the voluntary and community sector – ensuring smooth transition of referral or support for the Service User:
- Linking people back in with friends and neighbours
- Helping regain confidence and independence
Their service runs 7 days a week, 10:00 – 18:00, 365 days a year.
Referrals can be made either by completing a referral form by email, or by calling the Support at Home referral line on 01733 207113.
The Support at Home service is free of charge.
There is a charge for wheelchairs and mobility aids if not in receipt of benefits.