Langdyke Countryside TrustBack to Activities
Langdyke Countryside Trust is a community charity organisation that offers access and enjoyment of both the natural world and built heritage in the area to the N.W. of Peterborough, both for individuals and groups/organisations. Volunteers are most welcome!
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- being out in nature is known to have significant benefits to health and wellbeing;
- meeting with people in a shared interest can build relationships;
- learning something new and having to focus on details to achieve that engages your mind in positive ways; there is a chance to learn about wild flowers, birds and other species you may not have come across before.
‘The opportunity to actively engage with nature, seeing the wider landscape change and observing the detail of local species, helps me to re-focus and see what joy there is to be found in simple things.’
Among the reserves Langdyke manages or helps with are Swaddywell Pit, Etton Maxey, and Torpel Manor Field (see their website for more information).
How to contact
Where to go
Swaddywell Pit Nature Reserve
Etton Maxey Nature Reserve
Peterborough PE6 9EA
Torpel Manor Field
Peterborough PE6 7DU
- Access to the main reserves
- Online events such as talks and discussions as well as guided walks and other outside events
- Volunteering opportunities such as working groups
If you have any spare time and would like to offer help you would be very welcome. For information about ‘work parties’ on the different sites please email them.
Langdyke Countryside Trust is establishing a Community Nature Reserve consisting of pledges by people to manage areas of their garden for the benefit of wildlife. Everything from a simple window box up to an entire meadow pledged will be added together. No other obligations beyond that! They will be regularly providing ideas on what you can do both in videos, articles on the website and links to other sources. Find out more on their website and watch the video below about this exciting project:
Membership of the Trust for a small annual sum brings certain benefits but is not a requirement for many activities. Specific events do have a requested contribution/donation to the Trust for non-members.