Bretton LibraryBack to Activities
Books and reading are one of life’s pleasures. Libraries also host a range of activities for all ages including crafts, computer skills, volunteering. Bretton Library is conveniently located within the Cresset complex, with bus stops and ample parking in the Bretton Centre.
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- Getting lost in a good book can reduce stress, give you enjoyment, and help you learn about people, places, ideas, and things you didn’t know!
- Libraries are great places to find out about and access things going on in the local community
- Libraries hold events and activities that can be good for socialising with others
‘The library is a lovely space. You can find nooks for quiet reading and studying, or join in all sorts of fun activities – a lot more goes on than you’d think!’
How to contact
Where to go
210 Cresset Centre
Peterborough PE3 8DX
What to expect?
There is plenty of free parking and two bus stops in the Bretton Shopping Centre. Access the library through the Cresset entrance on the car park, opposite Sainsbury’s. Photos and a video at the bottom of this page show how to enter.
As you enter the library, there is a main desk where you will usually find a friendly and informative librarian. They can help you find all sorts of information, from particular books to community services.
In addition to books, audio books, DVDs and other materials, the library hosts a wide range of activities for all ages, including:
- Children’s Rhyme Time with singing and colouring
- Children’s Storytime
- Knit ‘n’ Natter (not necessary to knit or crochet, can do other hobbies or just enjoy tea and a biscuit with lovely company)
- Weekly Homework Club with free computer use
- Beginner’s computer courses, and Silver Surfers for those who want a bit of help
- Computer use and wifi access: free for one hour for members
Access to the library main floor is wheelchair-friendly, and there is a lift to the upper floor where the computers are.
There are public toilets in the Cresset Centre.
On the libraries website, you will find lots of opportunities to browse online through Peterborough’s 10 sites across the city combined with the mobile library service, or see what other services they run.
People can also enjoy regular activities, access free internet, or enjoy ‘quiet spaces’ to get some peace and quiet to enjoy your reading or study time.
Librarians are also great at helping you find information you need.
The library also has a variety of volunteering opportunities, from helping out with activities, to admin, working with books, and more. Contact them to see what is available.
Access to the library and most activities is free.
People must become a member (free) to borrow library materials and use the computers. Find out how to join on their website.
Find opening hours for all the libraries on this page.
Occasionally, some activities have a cost, which the library will advise on.
The Bretton Library has a downstairs room to hire at a very reasonable cost, with tables and chairs for meetings, talks, or other activities. Please contact them direct to find out more.
This video shows how to get to the library in the Cresset Centre, and a bit around inside: